Palazzo Bentivoglio was built on the structure of an ancient castle, the complex consisted of a large quadrangular mole, surrounded by deep trenches at the four corners and provided with towers: the whole circumscribed a large courtyard.
After various troubles the castle falls under the Bentivoglio domination, which substantially modify the town's urban layout through the construction of the stately building, commissioned to engineer Giovan Battista Aleotti. These, called l'Argenta, for: "the erection of such a big building" took advantage of the material coming from the demolition of the Castellazzo, used as the seat of the Council of the Community.
The successor of Cornelio, Ippolito, who took over the government in 1594, arranged the completion of the magnificent "Palazzo Bentivoglio", respectful of the classic Renaissance canons.
In 1751 a large part of the building was demolished to stem the floods of the Po river.
The public weighing, slaughter, duty, granaries and warehouses were housed in the building, until the right wing was used as a school in the twentieth century. In 1970 the municipal administration undertook a series of restoration interventions aimed at the maintenance and recovery of buildings.
Currently the palace, which preserves in the middle part the embrasures of the drawbridge from the ancient castle, has four equal facades, one hundred meters long, while the central body is raised. The exterior, sober in shape, appears to be punctuated by a double row of windows and an entrance to three arches.
On the ground floor is the Carpenters' room, now used for debates and conferences.
Upstairs are the Giant's Hall, the room of Icarus, the hall of Jupiter and the hall of Aeneas, the noble chapel.
The chapel is next to the Icarus room and is covered by the vaulted ceiling in the center of which there is an octagonal fresco representing the assumption of the Virgin in heaven. There is a great wealth of stuccoes depicting putti, swirls, festoons and little angels.