Of Roman origin, Boretto lays along the right bank of the Po; always struggling to achieve autonomy, in 1305, moved with Gualtieri under the rule of the bishops of Parma.
These were followed by the Visconti family and in 1409, together with Brescello, was occupied by the Venetians under whose control it remained until 1479. This occupation left profound traces, so much that Boretto has in common the Patron with Venice, and beside the parish church, on a pillar, stands the lion of San Marco, a gift from Venice.
Boretto has always had an ancient tradition of river shipbuilding, as demonstrated by the room dedicated to the Borettani shipowners housed in the Museo Cantiere del Po, inland navigation and water management. It is a museum of industrial archeology that preserves a series of objects, tools and machinery used mainly in the first half of the last century by the Civil Engineers for the maintenance of the seabed and the regulation of navigation.
Another important place of interest is Casa dei Pontieri which is located on the structures of an old barge bridge. Also in Boretto is the Belvedere Museum House which houses a collection of works by the painter and writer Pietro Ghizzardi (1906-1986) as well as the artist's home.
In the territory of Boretto has always been cultivated a particular species of onion known as Cipolla Borettana. Also there is the traditional Emilian cuisine, with strong influences from Parma and Reggio Emilia.
Every year, in the month of September, there is an important event called "River Food Festival", dedicated to the food and wine products of the Emilian culture and tradition, the feast of Cipolla Borettana and quality agro-food. During the three days of the event, music and shows accompany the event. While, in June, PiroPo takes place: a firework display on the banks of the great river, which attracts thousands of people in the municipality. At dusk, on the banks of the Po an exciting show of music and lights takes place, accompanied by a wide selection of traditional dishes.