At the end of the portico (porch) in “Via Cavour”, near the square, there is a religious building dedicated to the Holy Virgin Mary - called “Chiesa della B.V. del Popolo” - whose first symbolic stone was placed by Count Camillo III Gonzaga, on November 11, 1704.
The construction work - on a project by architect Prospero Mattioli from Reggio Emilia - continued until 1708. In the same year, on August, 5, the portrait of the “Beata Vergine Maria della Neve” - originally painted on the wall of the gateway to the castle, in the east side of the square - was moved there, together with the statue of St. Bernardino, previously located in the Oratory - no longer existing - which once stood in front of the Fortress. By the will of Mons. Picenardi - Bishop of Reggio Emilia - the church was erected as a Sanctuary. The construction of the building took place with the help of all the inhabitants of the town, to show the Virgin their gratitude for all miracles performed.