Church of Santa Maria Nascente

Learn

Church of Santa Maria Nascente

The Church, formerly built in medieval times and then rebuilt between 1829 and 1837, hosts the famous "talking Christ" of the Don Camillo and Peppone movies, created by the sculptor Bruno Avesani, and also contains valuable works by the local painter, Carlo Zatti, and sculptor Carlo Pisi.

The facade is characterized by the protiro built in brick by Angelo Rizzoli for the shooting of the third film 'Don Camillo and the honorable Peppone (1955) as a sign of gratitude for the hospitality received. Then, given the valuable aesthetics of the church, the then Archpriest, Don Sante Manfredini, asked for and obtained from the Commendator Rizzoli, the masonry construction of the same.

Nearby

monastero san benedetto brescello

Monastery of San Benedetto


Following a legacy by the Duchess Eleonora d'Este, in the second half of the 15th century, the Benedictine nuns became owners of the Monastery, until the advent of the Cisalpine Republic. Then, in 1758, the religious order was suppressed. As early as 1553, the Monastery was home to a school for convent girls. Later, in 1798, the Monastery was suppressed. In 1873, the Municipality of Brescello became owner of the building and transformed it into a military barrack. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building wing overlooking “Via Primo Maggio” was used as an elementary school, whereas most of the building was residential or the seat of small workshops. In 1933, the south and west wings were demolished, while the main body of the building housed the “Casa del Fascio”, and served as a location for meetings and orchestra rehearsals.