The Golena of Luzzara

Discover
Learn

The Golena of Luzzara

The Golena is a site of important naturalistic value consisting of a stretch of about 10 km of the right floodplain of the Po River, close to the border with Lombardy.

The area is a wetland of particular naturalistic importance. In the Golena there are different types of naturalistic habitats: rivers with muddy banks with vegetation of the Chenopodion rubri and Bidention, plus three other habitats related to running or stagnant waters, which are in general the most characterizing habitats of the site, then forests with Salix tunnel alba and Populus alba and finally some flakes of xerophytic prairie. At the faunist level, the Golena is home to 26 species of birds, mainly aquatic.

One of the major heronries of Emilia-Romagna is present with Nitticora (about 800 nests) and Garzetta. Other nesting species of community interest are Tarabusino, Cavaliere d'Italia, Kingfisher and Little Averla.

  • Percorsi ciclabili e per mountain bike

Nearby

convento

Church and Former Convent of the Augustinians


Also known as the church of the former hospital or church of the “Conventino”. It was built at the end of the 15th century by the will of Caterina Pico - Marquis of Luzzara Rodolfo Gonzaga’s wife. It was nearly destroyed to the foundations and reconstructed between 1764 and 1771. Fortunately, the 15th-century apse has been left intact. The sacristy hosts the remains of a funerary monument - dedicated to Luigi Gonzaga, who died in 1570 - partially destroyed by a fire in 1918. In the upper part of the monument, in the very centre, it is possible to admire the Gonzaga coat of arms - borne up by two putti and dominated by a two-headed crowned eagle. The monument stands on an architrave borne by two large statues: a Caryatid and an Atlas. From the centre, under the ledge and borne by a lion’s head, a fruit festoon passes over the Caryatids and descends towards the outer sides, up to the large corbel of the base, where two eagles are placed. The monument also housed a plaque dedicated to Luigi Gonzaga. Frescoes of historical and artistic interest have been recently discovered under the adjacent porch.