TRUCIOLO MUSEUM

Learn

TRUCIOLO MUSEUM

The Museum of the Treccia, recently built, is housed within the ancient Chiavica of Villarotta which dates back to 1484. Inside the local space, where there is an original fireplace of the fifteenth century, are placed machinery (lathe and chip remover machines) with which the 'caioli' were obtained from the poplar logs, then given to the women to make some tresses. From the braids, the traditional straw hats were obtained by sewing, so Villarotta became famous in the 18th century as the "Villa dei Cappelli" (Villa of the hats). 

Nearby

convento

CHURCH AND FORMER CONVENT OF THE AUGUSTINIANS


Also known as the church of the former hospital or church of the “Conventino”. It was built at the end of the 15th century by the will of Caterina Pico - Marquis of Luzzara Rodolfo Gonzaga’s wife. It was nearly destroyed to the foundations and reconstructed between 1764 and 1771. Fortunately, the 15th-century apse has been left intact. The sacristy hosts the remains of a funerary monument - dedicated to Luigi Gonzaga, who died in 1570 - partially destroyed by a fire in 1918. In the upper part of the monument, in the very centre, it is possible to admire the Gonzaga coat of arms - borne up by two putti and dominated by a two-headed crowned eagle. The monument stands on an architrave borne by two large statues: a Caryatid and an Atlas. From the centre, under the ledge and borne by a lion’s head, a fruit festoon passes over the Caryatids and descends towards the outer sides, up to the large corbel of the base, where two eagles are placed. The monument also housed a plaque dedicated to Luigi Gonzaga. Frescoes of historical and artistic interest have been recently discovered under the adjacent porch.