Greppi Palace

Discover
Learn

Greppi Palace

Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN

 

In the village of Santa Vittoria - in Gualtieri - stands a large building constructed between 1770 and 1775 by the family of the noble Greppi from Milano - who had received a large agricultural estate in the area from the Estensi Counts. The palace is placed in the very centre of the village: its location and volume have affected the entire configuration of Santa Vittoria, preventing the construction of a square

The architectural model apparently recalls that of the large Palladian Venetian villas. The distinctive feature of the building lies in the combination between productive functions related to the countryside and noble appearance - bringing it closer to the closed courts model recalling Lombard and Piedmontese farmhouses. The facade situated in front of the Parish Church became even more essential after both the outer staircase and the terrace were demolished, in 1832, and red colour and decorations faded away. The destruction of the Italian garden (by Pagani, from Bologna) occurred in the 20th century. The most important part of the garden was represented by the “Aranciaia” (the orangery) - a source of income for the Greppi family, who sold its fruits. The west wing has a double loggia and large rooms - perhaps used as a store for agricultural stocks; the east wing has a loggia as the west one. The remaining rooms were used as cellars, warehouses and lodgings for the farmer and his family members. The interior decorations were largely created by Giovanni Morini and above all by the Gualtierese Giovanni Sogliani, who embellished the Greppi Hall - which can be considered as an early Neoclassical decoration example in Reggio Emilia. In the hall, there is a marble fireplace, by Bolognini, on which was probably placed a mirror. It is worth mentioning the presence of original doors and fixtures and the access staircase to the hall.

Nearby

nunzia

Church of the SS Annunziata


Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN

 

The original building - located further east - has been affected by frequent floods of the river Po that seriously compromised its stability. A new one was built between 1653 and 1670. The church interior has a single nave, with six side chapels. The vault was entirely restored between 1914 and 1915, as well as a large part of the Temple.

donazione tirelli gualtieri

Tirelli Collection


Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN

 

The collection is hosted in the rooms of Palazzo Bentivoglio and consists of 50 works of considerable artistic value that the famous tailor Umberto Tirelli has donated to the City of Gualtieri.

Among these stand out Balthus drawings, paintings by Fabrizio Clerici, Renato Guttuso, Mino Maccari, Giorgio de Chirico, Giacomo Manzù. Also on show are two costumes designed by Pier Luigi Pizzi and Piero Tosi for the Enrico IV of Pirandello and for the Ludwig by Luchino Visconti.

golena di gualtieri vista

The Golena of Gualtieri


Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN

 

The gualtieri flood plain offers significant opportunities from the naturalistic point of view in the different seasons of the year. The territory enclosed between the master's embankment and the Po riverbed is very complex and diversified, including both naturalistic and anthropological aspects.