THE CIVIC TOWER

Discover

THE CIVIC TOWER

On 23rd October 1702 the French militias undermined the part of the Castle that towards Guastalla, and part of the Fortress with its imposing Tower. The Luzzarese community had from the beginning manifested the desire to build a very high tower with the material recovered from the ruins of the old Torre della Rocca and of the fortifications.

In 1780 the determination of the community of Luzzara led to the completion of the Tower with the construction of the dome on which a zinc cover was placed. On September 15, 1780, the cross with the Pike was placed on top of the tower, reaching a height of 55 meters.

Nearby

convento

CHURCH AND FORMER CONVENT OF THE AUGUSTINIANS


Also known as the church of the former hospital or church of the “Conventino”. It was built at the end of the 15th century by the will of Caterina Pico - Marquis of Luzzara Rodolfo Gonzaga’s wife. It was nearly destroyed to the foundations and reconstructed between 1764 and 1771. Fortunately, the 15th-century apse has been left intact. The sacristy hosts the remains of a funerary monument - dedicated to Luigi Gonzaga, who died in 1570 - partially destroyed by a fire in 1918. In the upper part of the monument, in the very centre, it is possible to admire the Gonzaga coat of arms - borne up by two putti and dominated by a two-headed crowned eagle. The monument stands on an architrave borne by two large statues: a Caryatid and an Atlas. From the centre, under the ledge and borne by a lion’s head, a fruit festoon passes over the Caryatids and descends towards the outer sides, up to the large corbel of the base, where two eagles are placed. The monument also housed a plaque dedicated to Luigi Gonzaga. Frescoes of historical and artistic interest have been recently discovered under the adjacent porch.

copertina emergenza n 35 Chiesa Parrocchiale di San Giorgio

Parish Church of San Giorgio


It was probably built at the end of the 11th century, in Romanesque style, and renovated several times. It was rebuilt from 1676 in Baroque style - except for the apse, which is still Romanesque. In 2000, crypt excavations led to several findings, such as capitals, columns and frescoes from the original Romanesque building and shards dating back to the previous period. In the inside, it preserves some 16th-century paintings, such as the altarpiece portraying the “Vergine col Bambino tra S. Giorgio e S. Girolamo” (Giuliesca School) modeled after a sketch by Giulio Romano kept in the Louvre Museum.