Church of the SS Annunziata

Church of the SS Annunziata

Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN


The original building - located further east - has been affected by frequent floods of the river Po that seriously compromised its stability. A new one was built between 1653 and 1670. The church interior has a single nave, with six side chapels. The vault was entirely restored between 1914 and 1915, as well as a large part of the Temple.

The tempera decorations that adorn it - also partially located in the undecorated chapels’ vaults - date back to these renovation works. It is worth noting the 17th-century stuccoes by Ferraboschi - especially those of the main door and of the altarpiece placed on the altar dedicated to the “Beata Vergine delle Grazie” (Our Lady of Graces) - and the choir stalls in walnut (1677). The red-marbled Baptismal Font (1670) is actually a Holy Water Font and until the end of the 19th century all baptisms were probably performed there. The elegant wooden “cantoria” (choir) in the upper part of the counter-facade (1879) and the 19th-century organ are equally valuable.