Archaeological Museum


Archaeological Museum

Inaugurated in 2007, the Archeological Museum collects a series of artifacts found in Brescello between the 18th and the 19th century.

The town was of great historical importance, being a Roman city of considerable importance, which controlled the traffic along the Po river. The visit begins with the small necropolis of Brixellum, with original steles and a copy of a part of the monument of the Concordi family. A second part is dedicated to Roman houses, where you can admire mosaic floors and reconstructions of a typical domus and insula. An extensive documentation is dedicated to the different uses and models of amphorae, created with the Superintendence for the Archaeological Heritage of Emilia-Romagna.



monastero san benedetto brescello

Monastery of San Benedetto

Following a legacy by the Duchess Eleonora d'Este, in the second half of the 15th century, the Benedictine nuns became owners of the Monastery, until the advent of the Cisalpine Republic. Then, in 1758, the religious order was suppressed. As early as 1553, the Monastery was home to a school for convent girls. Later, in 1798, the Monastery was suppressed. In 1873, the Municipality of Brescello became owner of the building and transformed it into a military barrack. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building wing overlooking “Via Primo Maggio” was used as an elementary school, whereas most of the building was residential or the seat of small workshops. In 1933, the south and west wings were demolished, while the main body of the building housed the “Casa del Fascio”, and served as a location for meetings and orchestra rehearsals.