Giovannino Guareschi Bust


Giovannino Guareschi Bust

Next to the San Benedetto Cultural Center and the "Peppone and Don Camillo" Museum is the Guareschi Park, dedicated to the writer of Fontanelle, Parma: a beautiful green area in the heart of the village. In it there is an old steam locomotive, renovated by the volunteers of the Pro-Loco, and the bust of Giovannino Guareschi, the work of the German sculptor Gudrun Schreiner, inaugurated in October 1995 in the presence of the sons Carlotta and Alberto, the well-known journalist and writer Michele Serra, of the President of the "Club dei Ventitrè" Giovanni Lugaresi and of many other guests and private citizens. On the base there is a bronze plaque with the words "To Giovannino Guareschi, Father of Don Camillo and Peppone".


monastero san benedetto brescello

Monastery of San Benedetto

Following a legacy by the Duchess Eleonora d'Este, in the second half of the 15th century, the Benedictine nuns became owners of the Monastery, until the advent of the Cisalpine Republic. Then, in 1758, the religious order was suppressed. As early as 1553, the Monastery was home to a school for convent girls. Later, in 1798, the Monastery was suppressed. In 1873, the Municipality of Brescello became owner of the building and transformed it into a military barrack. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building wing overlooking “Via Primo Maggio” was used as an elementary school, whereas most of the building was residential or the seat of small workshops. In 1933, the south and west wings were demolished, while the main body of the building housed the “Casa del Fascio”, and served as a location for meetings and orchestra rehearsals.