Bonifica Bentivoglio

Discover

Bonifica Bentivoglio

The initial land reclamation project had already been planned in the early XVI century and was later resumed and implemented by Cornelio Bentivoglio, who – thanks to his personal acquaintances and great diplomatic skills – managed to involve the Dukes of Ferrara, Mantova, Parma, Guastalla, Novellara, Correggio and the neighbouring communities.

The new project was designed by architect Gian Battista Aleotti, who managed to create one of the most refined Italian hydraulic works.

The main actions undertaken to regulate the precarious water situation of the marshy areas – subjected to frequent floods - included: the channeling of the Crostolo up to the river Po, the construction of a “Botte” (1576) to regulate the waters of Brescello, Castelnovo and Gualtieri and direct them towards the Guastallese area through the so-called “Cavo Botte”, in order to make them flow into the Secchia river. Another intervention dealt with the adjustment of the right Enza embankment, up to the Po. The immediate consequence of the reclamation works was the increase in yield of the soil.

The first “Corsorzio della Bonifica Bentivoglio” was established in 1878, by bringing together the Municipalities of the lowland. In 2010, the Association was annexed to the “Consorzio di Bonifica dell’Emilia Romagna”. 

 

Nearby

golena di gualtieri vista

The Golena of Gualtieri


Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN

 

The gualtieri flood plain offers significant opportunities from the naturalistic point of view in the different seasons of the year. The territory enclosed between the master's embankment and the Po riverbed is very complex and diversified, including both naturalistic and anthropological aspects.

copertina emergenza 15 Palazzo Greppi

Greppi Palace


Audioguida ITA

Audio guide EN

 

In the village of Santa Vittoria - in Gualtieri - stands a large building constructed between 1770 and 1775 by the family of the noble Greppi from Milano - who had received a large agricultural estate in the area from the Estensi Counts. The palace is placed in the very centre of the village: its location and volume have affected the entire configuration of Santa Vittoria, preventing the construction of a square