Monastery of San Benedetto


Monastery of San Benedetto

Following a legacy by the Duchess Eleonora d'Este, in the second half of the 15th century, the Benedictine nuns became owners of the Monastery, until the advent of the Cisalpine Republic. Then, in 1758, the religious order was suppressed. As early as 1553, the Monastery was home to a school for convent girls. Later, in 1798, the Monastery was suppressed. In 1873, the Municipality of Brescello became owner of the building and transformed it into a military barrack. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building wing overlooking “Via Primo Maggio” was used as an elementary school, whereas most of the building was residential or the seat of small workshops. In 1933, the south and west wings were demolished, while the main body of the building housed the “Casa del Fascio”, and served as a location for meetings and orchestra rehearsals.

Today, completely renovated, it is used as a Municipal Cultural Center, houses the Museum of "Peppone and Don Camillo" and the "Archaeological Museum", the Library, the Social Center "Auser", the Hall of the Municipal Council, the civic Hall "Prampolini / Mingori "(dedicated to the historic meeting between the socialist and Reggio Emilia Cooperator Camillo Prampolini and Pompeo Mingori from Brescello) and the" Carlo Zatti "Civic Hall, an illustrious local painter and mayor of the late nineteenth century, as well as the offices of the local Municipal Police.